The civil engineering degree has been earned by those who want to explore structures that can be built for the environment, private sectors and the government. It is also interesting to know more about the famous facts about civil engineering since this was the oldest engineering field that was ever known. You might be wondering why the civil engineering was called civil engineering and the civil engineer a civil engineer. You may already have the idea on how they work but you can read some of the engineering ideas that are shown below.
Below are some of the famous facts about civil engineering:
1. The engineers and architects are frequently thought of as the same until the 18th century.
2. The civil engineering term was then used in the 18th century. It is being used to illustrate the engineering work performed by the civilians for a non-military purpose.
3. John Smeaton was the 1st self-proclaimed civil engineer who constructed Eddystone Lighthouse.
4. The civil engineers are mostly working on difficult projects that involve economic, technical, social and the environmental factors.
5. The civil engineering is complex and can take place on different levels. There can be public sectors, ranging from municipal to the national governments. Then from private sectors, which are homeowners, to the international companies.
6. Civil engineers are also there to help in preserving the environment. They will be helping in cleaning up existing pollution, planning the ways to lessen future pollution in land, air and water.
7. Nora Stanton Blatch was the woman granted the 1st civil engineering degree. It was Cornell University that awarded the degree in 1905.
8. Structural engineering is one of the ten sub-disciplines of civil engineering which is for the designing of structures for safety and so it will be serviceable to the users.
9. Civil engineering has ten sub-disciplines and they are: Coastal engineering, Construction engineering, Earthquake engineering, Environmental engineering, Geotechnical engineering, Materials engineering, Municipal engineering, Structural engineering, Transportation engineering and Water resources engineering.
10. Channel Tunnel is definitely one of the most beautiful civil engineered designs of 20th century. The design serves the capacity of an amazing 600 trains a day every way underneath the English Channel.
11. The Golden Gate Bridge was designed to suspend and it was internationally recognized as the symbol of San Francisco, California.
12. Burj Al Arab in Dubai, UAE is the five-star luxury and famous hotel that stands as the 4th tallest hotel that is now noted in the entire world. The design of the hotel structure is like the sail of a ship.
There are so many things to know about civil engineering and one of the popular engineering companies to know is on the website www.ggpconsult.co.uk. From the beginning when civil engineering was not known yet it was already being performed by many different people in the ancient times. They have created different structures without any high-tech equipment. Civil engineering is innovating to produce more modern structures.Read More